[Development] QtCoap: QNAM-like API or not

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jan 15 20:45:14 CET 2018

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 22:15:15 PST Timur Pocheptsov wrote:
> > I don't think we can make any decisions on CoAP until DTLS support is
> > there. It may influence what the CoAP API looks like.
>
> Thiago, could you, please, clarify this?

Sure. There's no DTLS API. Therefore, CoAP API cannot be implemented.

> They model their Coap client after QNAM and related classes (like
> QNetworkRequest/Reply pair).
>
> As I understand it now - DTLS or not does not affect this API much - they
> can later

You don't know that. Until we know how DTLS will work, we won't know if
there's any impact in the front-end API for CoAP. For example, can you use one
CoAP server for both encrypted and not encrypted? Multicast and unicast?

What's more, we CANNOT release a full CoAP API until it implements DTLS. It's
just not acceptable to do so otherwise. Therefore, until there's DTLS, the API
is Technology Preview and subject to change. So I don't feel we need to review
it yet. I have not spent any time myself.

> From client side QDtlsConnection I'm working on is not very different
>
> from QSslSocket/QUdpSocket as we have them in Qt now (though it's none of
> them exactly).

We talked about sharing sockets and everything else. There's a lot that may
change once you get to the final details.