[Development] Qt Linguist should tell how many strings are in a file

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Wed Jul 18 10:16:08 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 03:30:14PM +0200, Jason H wrote:
> It was unfortunately a combination of lokalise.co and my scripts. The
> owner/opertator/developer of lokalise was very helpful in adjusting
> his service which apparently supported Qt 3 to Qt4's format. He
> complained about issues with the XML, which I later also experienced
> when writing my merge scripts. We used lokalize to get the
> translations from the translators and all that entails (user
> management, scope, etc)
>
> I would expect that Qt would adopt/focus on GNU gettext/PO files in
> the future?

I would not expect that.

The use of Linguist and the Qt translation system in general is
completely optional for a Qt application, you can use any other
system for your own translations already now.I

Apart from that, Qt translations and gettext are not equivalent
featurewise, neither is a super nor a subset of the other, so
*dropping* the Qt translation system will hurt someone.

Andre'