[Development] Code contributions via bug reports and forum posts

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 16 18:06:59 CEST 2018

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 02:20:45 PDT Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> Contribution of source code is now allowed via Qt systems such as bug
> reports and forums. Traditionally all source code contributions to the Qt
> Project are governed via Contribution License Agreement (CLA), except
> possibility given to the commercial license holders to provide bug fixes
> and similar small modifications that The Qt Company has pushed into Qt. We
> have now updated the Qt Account service terms to more clearly state that
> source code can be contributed via the Qt systems. The preferred way to
> contribute source code to the Qt Project is still via the CLA, according to
> the contribution guidelines. But sometimes a user who has not accepted the
> CLA has a patch that would, for example, fix a bug in Qt. Providing such a
> patch is now also possible via the Qt systems, for example via the bug
> reports or forum posts.
>
> Please check a blog post for more information:
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/05/16/code-contributions-via-bug-reports-forum-> posts/

"n addition to the license above in Section 3 granted to the Content, you as
User may decide to give The Qt Company input or feedback (including but not
limited to software code) on the Services or relating to your Subscription
(“Feedback”). You grant to The Qt Company ..."

Please note this grants The Qt Company this right, presumably because that
"Feedback" is submitted to a web service they control. For other people in the
Qt Project, nothing changes: you (and I) are not allowed to pick up patches
submitted to the bug reporting system or forums and apply it to Qt no more
than we are allowed to pick up patches submitted to Stack Overflow or
pastebin.com.

To all users: please continue submitting contributions through the
contribution system as much as you can. Submitting patches via the bug
reporting tool may not work if the assignee or maintainer in question does not
work for the Qt Company and there's no one who does that is willing to accept
the responsibility of submitting it on your behalf.