[Development] Repository Request: qt/licensing

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Thu May 24 06:48:28 CEST 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 12:58:43PM +0000, Kai Koehne wrote:
> > -----Original Message----- [...] Can .pro files test for commercial
> > vs. oss licenses?  If so, and you create a non- Qt project repo,
> > couldn't some .pro in qtbase retrieve licheck, like QtCreator does
> > here: http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-
> > creator.git/tree/qtcreator.pro#n123?
> >
> > Is that an acceptable solution?  Seems like it would work here,
> > although I think the time stamp generation and commercial licenses
> > would need to be added to qtbase (I think).
>
> Thanks, that's actually an interesting idea. Obvious downside is that
> you need network access ... but you can argue that, if people are using
> git, they most likely have it

I am not sure I got the context right here, but as a general remark:
"being in principle able to access network on demand, with permission,
possibly restricted to certain times or other circumstances" does not
mean that I would necessarily appreciate the attempt to access network
at arbitrary times, in automated ways, possibly without my active
knowledge and permission.

So I'd prefer a git checkout to be usable offline, completely, without
usable network access or even probing.

Andre'