[Development] Who is in charge of qt-project.org?

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Fri Nov 2 13:44:39 CET 2018

Exactly. We are very pleased if there are people who start to contribute to Qbs. So far it has been very little by others than employees of The Qt Company.

We will continue maintaining Qbs so that it stays supported until end of 2019 and also release a new version in April 2019 as promised. Most likely Qbs remains usable a long time after support ends - even without anyone from the community working on it.

This is a good opportunity for those interested in further developing Qbs to step up and start taking it forward. We can help with the reviews and provide the infrastructure. We can help even with new releases, if there is enough interest to develop it further.

I do not think anyone questions the technical merits of Qbs over qmake or CMake. Qbs is better than these in many ways. For that reason we have kept on investing into it. But we also need to be realistic and think about what paying customers prefer. While we have some customers using Qbs, the use of CMake is much, much bigger. Both by the number of customers using it and by the size of the customers' usage.

We probably should have opened the dialogue about the future of Qbs during the process of thinking about the options. This would have been good and fair towards the community. But it would not change the facts - it is an impossibly huge task to replace CMake with Qbs even within the Qt users, let alone outside of Qt.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 02/11/2018, 14.15, "Development on behalf of Martin Smith" <development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of Martin.Smith at qt.io> wrote:

    >You've just dropped Qbs, what's next?
    >I don't trust you anymore, nor the company-ies you represent - Nothing personal.
    >I think that it is time for the qt-project.org domain to be handed
    >back to the Qt Project community.

    But "dropped Qbs" means The Qt Company won't be developing Qbs anymore, which means, effectively, Qbs is being handed to the Qt Project community.

    martin