[Development] Who is in charge of qt-project.org?

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Fri Nov 2 14:54:15 CET 2018

Il 02/11/18 14:04, Julius Bullinger ha scritto:
> To be honest, that's not at all what the blog post at
> http://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/10/29/deprecation-of-qbs/  suggests:
>
>       > We have decided to deprecate Qbs and redirect our resources to
>       > increase support for CMake.
> The keyword here being "deprecate". You're not saying "The Qt Company is
> pulling resources", you're saying "Qbs will go away, don't use it
> anymore" ("you" being TQtC). The first one would be fine, the latter one
> is a clear signal to stay away from it.
>
> If Qbs is independent from TQtC (what the discussion here suggests),
> than TQtC is in no position to_deprecate_  it.

That is formally correct (but we could bikeshed on the meaning of
"deprecate" in this context. Deprecate for whom?); however notice that
TQC is the current maintainer of QBS _inside the Qt Project_:

https://wiki.qt.io/Maintainers

As such, they have all the right to announce what they plan to do when
dropping maintainership. Unless someone else steps in, the maintainer's
decisions are final. This is true for any part of Qt in the Qt Project.

On the other hand, this means that QBS still has a home in the Qt
Project, so if someone wants to start developing it again, the code,
docs, bugtracker etc. can be the same ones used for the rest of Qt.

My 2 c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts