[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Bogdan Vatra bogdan.vatra at kdab.com
Wed Oct 31 06:38:44 CET 2018

Hi,

În ziua de marți, 30 octombrie 2018, la 19:11:20 EET, Oswald Buddenhagen a
scris:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 01:16:43PM +0200, Bogdan Vatra wrote:
> > c.2) back then, none of the existing build system could deliver enough
> > information to IDEs to enable prefect code completion (e.g.  include
> > paths, defines, compiler flags, etc.)
> > c.2) Incomplete! A while ago, I created a QBS plugin for KDevelop[1]
> > and I found some problems, see how QBS developers treat them here:
> > https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QBS-902 . That was the moment when I
> > started to have doubts :).
>
> for all i can tell that's a rather poor bug report with little followup
> from you. that's where i start to have doubts whether you actually mean
> it. ;)

You must be kidding! What do you want me to do more? Write some love poems?

> > d) last but not least a clean and easily maintainable code base that can
> > be
> > used for the next decade(s).
> >
> >   - Instread to port QBS to QML JS in the first second when QtScript was
> >
> > deprecated, they fork it! I know that back then QML JS needed some love,
> > but instead to collaborate with QML JS folks they decided keep using
> > QtScript! IIRC a brave soul, port it to QML JS, but guess what, QBS devs
> > reject it and kept using QtScript!
> >
> >  - Even more, they found a few problem also in QML parser, and guess what,
> >
> > they forked also QML!
>
> both these items get a huge "so what?" in response. because they have no
> practical impact whatsoever.
"So what?" Qt 6 will use cmake instead of qbs?
They have a big impact when it's comming to maintainanace. Instead to focus on
qbs code, you have to focus also on QtScript and on QML parser...

> > To fix d) a large part of QBS must be reorganized/rewritten,
>
> i see no actual evidence of that.
Well, Qt 6 using cmake instead of qbs is the best *indirect* evidence ;-).

  Anyway, as long as Lars & Tuukka announced that qbs is dead, personally I
think in this moment the whole discussion is futile. Because of that
decission, in this moment TQC imagine is not very good, imagine how it will
look if in a week or two you'll announce that you ditch cmake or qmake and
embrace QBS again, that will be a PR nightmare and I don't see it coming :).

Cheers,
BogDan.