[Development] iMX6 EGLGS 2D (QtWidgets) painting acceleration

Arno Rehn a.rehn at menlosystems.com
Tue Sep 4 11:00:09 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

because I've hit the same issues on an embedded platform with eglfs (was
the Raspberry Pi, not iMX6), I've thrown together some classes for
native QtQuick/OpenGL plotting. Performance on the Raspberry Pi is
excellent from my experience (5% CPU usage on the R-Pi with a
continuously updated plot).

Repository: https://gitlab.com/qtquickplot/qtquickplot
Blog entry with some explanations:
http://www.arnorehn.de/blog/2014/12/quickplot-a-collection-of-native-qtquick-plot-items/

Regards,

Am 29.08.2018 um 19:49 schrieb Denis Shienkov:
> Hi,
>
>  > have you tried QOpenGlWidget ?
>
> It does not work together (can't be mixed) with an usual QtWidgets using
> the 'eglfs' backend.
>
>  > QtCharts to be more QtQuicker and more featured
>
> As I see from the QtCharts sources, it also renders via QGraphicsScene
> && QGraphicsWidget even in QtQuick.
>

> 29.08.2018 18:56, Vlad Stelmahovsky пишет:
>>
>> have you tried QOpenGlWidget ?
>>
>> otherwise you dont have other options: plain QWidget's does not HW
>> accelerated
>>
>> or, you can extend QtCharts to be more QtQuicker and more featured.
>> everyone will be happy :)
>>
>> On 8/29/18 11:39 AM, Denis Shienkov wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I have an Apalis iMX6 board with the Yocto's image with the working
>>> 'eglfs' and 'linuxfb'  backends (without of X11 support).
>>>
>>> I need to create a 'pure' QtWidgets application, where I need to use
>>> a real-time plotting with the Qwt library (using the Qt Quick is not
>>> an option, as there the QtCharts is not ready for usage) .
>>>
>>> But, I'm sadly surprised that a 2D painting takes ~100% CPU loading
>>> as with the 'eglfs' and as with 'linuxfb' backends. It is not an
>>> acceptable, because, e.g. on Desktop Linux/Windows it takes ~4-5% CPU
>>>
>>> Is any workarounds for this? Maybe I need to re-build the Yocto's
>>> image to enable the X11 'xcb' support?
>>>
>>> BR,
>>> Denis

Arno Rehn
Tel +49 89 189 166 0
Fax +49 89 189 166 111
a.rehn at menlosystems.com
www.menlosystems.com

Menlo Systems GmbH
Am Klopferspitz 19a, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Amtsgericht München HRB 138145
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Mei, Dr. Ronald Holzwarth
USt.-IdNr. DE217772017, St.-Nr. 14316170324