[Development] Technical vision for Qt for Python

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Mon Aug 19 14:39:23 CEST 2019

Hello,

After the general discussion of the vision for Qt6,
we wanted to say a few things regarding Qt for Python.

Even though we are talking about a Python module,
the whole development is C and C++ related, and due to
Python's popularity, we have been getting a lot of attention
on Shiboken, the binding generator that we use to expose
our beloved C++ framework to Python.
That's why I felt motivated to write to the main qt mailing list.

A couple of people here has provided us with really nice feedback
regarding the module, and even related to the integration with
QtCreator. We are really thankful for that.

Since the beginning of the project we have seen it as a
complementary project, and never as a competition to the long-standing
performant C++ counterpart, but most importantly as a really nice way
to extend the Qt project community with a whole new set of users.

As you will read on the blog post, there are a couple of aspects from
the C++ point of view that are really useful, like fast prototyping,
exposing existing C++ projects to Python, or even
extend Qt/C++ application with Python.

It will be really nice to know what do you think,
because at the moment we have been mostly community driven,
and many aspects from the C++ expertise on this mailing list
will help us improving Qt for Python.

https://blog.qt.io/blog/2019/08/19/technical-vision-qt-python/

Cheers

--