[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Thu Jun 27 10:07:45 CEST 2019

Hi,

On 6/27/19 3:47 AM, Lars Knoll wrote:

> Yes, Webengine uses some memory. But is that really a problem on developer machines?

It is a problem, but IMHO not the main problem. The main problem is that
WebEngine is not available on all platforms that are supported (as a
development host) by Qt.

Just to make sure I just installed Qt 5.13 for MinGW 7.3 on my Windows
VM - WebEngine is nowhere to be seen. (Sorry, I don't have enough
capacity to check whether I might be able to compile it myself using clang.)

Please also keep in mind that a fair number of developers use the same
tool-chain (qdoc, assistant, QtHelp) to generate their own documentation
- this means that assistant gets redistributed.

One of my biggest Applications is 15MB on its own, 74MB including Qt and
all remotely necessary plugins. Adding WebEngine adds 115MB, assistant
itself is a mere 18MB. Please do not expect me to like this, having to
accept it is enough...

> People propose adding functionality to QTextBrowser instead. I do not thing that’s a viable solution (we’ve tried that in the past and our technical writers hit the next issue some weeks/months later). The problem is not that one could not add support for one or two new features to QTextBrowser, it is that we do not know what features we will need in our docs in the future.
...as I wrote earlier - none of the possible solutions are ideal.
Someone has to invest some work somewhere. QTextBrowser, WebEngine or
Technical Writing - make a choice. Chose wisely! ;)

Konrad