[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 20:24:25 CET 2020

On 10/03/2020 12.19, Cristián Maureira-Fredes wrote:
> On 3/10/20 3:40 PM, Cristian Adam wrote:
>> What stops us from accepting the contributions via GitHub?
>>
>> Is it:
>>
>>  1. The CLA
>>  2. Qt Account
>>
>> For the CLA one can simply add an instance of:
>>
>> https://github.com/cla-assistant/cla-assistant
>
> I think that's a good idea,
> in the past I was told that even a written consent accepting
> the CLA was enough (please correct me if I'm wrong),
> so if we can also include it on the Github
> mirror, that will allow us to get more contributions.
>
> The only thing I wonder is CI,
> what do you think could be a good workflow?

In an ideal world...

- Alice opens a pull request on GitHub.
- A bot sees the PR and opens a corresponding request on Gerrit.
- Bob comments on the Gerrit request.
- A bot sees Bob's comment and replicates it to the GitHub PR.
- Alice replies (on GitHub) to Bob's comment.
- A bot sees Alice's comment and replicates it to Gerrit.

...and so on.

I'm not sure to what extent this is actually plausible, but it would
seem to solve CI nicely, and would also mean that maintainers don't need
to look in multiple places.

Note that I believe nothing needs to be done to "merge" the GitHub PR;
if the commits become reachable from the target branch, it should
automatically get marked as "merged".

--
Matthew