[Development] Version-controlling the SVGs of built-in icons

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Fri Jun 18 11:19:42 CEST 2021

Hi,

The majority of time spent on QTBUG-38776 is chasing down the various SVGs from which it’s then trivial to generate PNGs in different resolutions.

Which makes me think that we should have those SVGs version controlled somewhere. That “somewhere” can either be the respective module repositories, or a dedicated repo with all SVGs. I’m in favour of the latter option, mostly because it makes it easier for the digital artists who create and maintain those SVGs to do that without having to clone the world and navigate a rather complex repo and file system structure. But there are pros and cons to either approach.

Since that might become the place for scalable versions of all icons, including those for Qt Creator and Qt Design Studio, having such a repo under the “qt" namespace seems odd. But I don’t see any obviously better option either.

Any opinions?

Volker