[Development] Commercial LTS Qt 5.15.4 released

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu May 13 22:30:16 CEST 2021

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 13:22:13 PDT Lorn Potter wrote:
> On 13/5/21 1:51 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > The problem is licensing, not Qt Company's willingness. They offered when
> > this all began. But since it's not open source, I can't look at it.
>
> Contractually or ethically?
>
> If ethically, it still is certainly your own choice.
>
> For me, the bigger picture is that if it furthers/funds the development
>                      of the open source product, then I am ok with
> helping the closed source side.

Contractually.

In order to accept a new licence, it needs to be reviewed in the corporate
legal and signed by a corporate officer (corporate VP or higher). It ain't
going to happen for Qt.

It took 6 months to get the corporate CLA signed back in 2012 and Intel was
part of the discussion in drafting in the first place. And at that time I was
working on Qt full time. Now I spend less than 10% of my work time.