[Development] C++20 comparisons @ Qt (was: Re: C++20 @ Qt)

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at qt.io
Fri Nov 10 09:11:11 CET 2023

On 09.11.23 16:28, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> But if the symbols are globally visible (ELF visibility STV_DEFAULT)

That counts as "exported", doesn't it?

Which leaves us with:
- MSVC doesn't export anything by default; inline functions are,
however, exported when the surrounding class is wholly exported
- on all other platforms, all functions are by default "exported", but
we emulate MSVC on those platforms by changing the default visibility to
hidden, incl. for inline functions

And my previous questions:

- do our BC guarantees exist at all in the absence of
`-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden`?
- does making the Qt and std::ordering types BC with each other not
solve the problem in this case, too?

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at qt.io>
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B