[Development] Provisioning freeze exception for building FFmpeg as shared libraries

Jøger Hansegård joger.hansegard at qt.io
Tue May 21 17:52:38 CEST 2024

Hi,

I would like to request a provisioning freeze exception for building FFmpeg as shared libraries.

The goal of this change is to make it easier to transition Qt Multimedia applications from legacy native media backends to the default FFmpeg media backend.

Although the FFmpeg media backend can still be built with static linking to FFmpeg, we will switch to dynamic linking against FFmpeg for binaries deployed by the Qt Online Installer. This is already released for Windows in Qt 6.7 and will be implemented for all platforms in Qt 6.8.

FFmpeg is built as part of provisioning, and the corresponding scripts must therefore be updated to build FFmpeg as shared libraries on the remaining platforms, iOS, Linux, and Android.

* https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-120990
* https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-120991
* https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-122010

Since the change has implications for application deployment, we depend on getting early feedback on the change, and if possible, as part of beta 1.

Best regards,
Jøger Hansegård