[Interest] making qt examples more verbal

Sivan Greenberg sivan at omniqueue.com
Thu Nov 10 13:56:42 CET 2011

Hi All,

 I would like to propose a first step improvement to Qt's Examples. My
target goal as I see it would be to augment all the qt examples we
have with enough commentary such that they could be used as recipes.
This means , as per Qt example writing guidelines [0]  to walk through
all of the code in the examples, excluding ofcourse the really trivial
things and concentrating on the parts of code more relevant to what
the example demonstrates.

 The first task I figured would be quick and easier to pursue, would
be to add commentary and pointers as per the subject the example is to
serve.

 For example, let us take the weather example [1] that I arrived at
through this URL traversal:
-> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/location-overview.html
>From that , as I'm looking to know how to retrieve location I went to:
-> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/location-overview.html#weather-info-demo
(q: why not link straight to the example?)
and from that , to:
-> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/weatherinfo.html

Now, since I am developing a location based app, perhaps it would be
safe to say the thing I am most interested in would be the gory
details of how to achieve the current location or some suggestive
code.

It would be nice to have, before the file list as per Qt example
format, a quick linkfied jump to the code that does that with enough
walk through to enable a user as quickly as possible to apply the code
to his needs. In this particular example I assume that would be the
snippet that deals with signals and slots for positionUpdated().

Having those would already make the examples good as recipes, later on
adding full commentary for the important code snippets from an
example, would enable more granular searching for terms and code
snippets through the Qt Creator example browser.

Does this make sense? Is it worth a bug report to track working on it?

-Sivan

[0]: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Writing_Qt_Examples#b7c110a6868f556215e513d2f3fa8129
[1]: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.2/weatherinfo.html