[Interest] [OT] Re: thanks for extra reading suggestions - sorry to insult technical writers

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Mon Apr 16 15:19:34 CEST 2012

Oliver:

  (I realize you're mostly joking.)

> > Haven't you heard of all the analog electronics where
> > there's no concept of boolean logic?
>
> You push the button... there's light. You push it again...
> it goes off. Sounds logic to me...

  Sure, *THAT* is easy. Now take a signal at 2,630,000 KHz
  and sort it out to a selectivity of 40 or 50 dB from similar
  signals at 2,629,800 KHz and 2,630,200 KHz; *THAT* ain't
  "logic", it's practically magic!

  Or in a NAND Flash Memory (just "logic", right?) allow
  about 30-40 electrons to distinguish between a "1" and a
  "0". Or even better, between a "0", a "1", a "2", and
  a "3". And do it over the full operating temperature
  and voltage range for ten years continuously.

    http://www.betasights.net/wordpress/?p=1238

  Never casually minimize the work of a professional in
  another discipline!

> Even taking out the batteries of my motorbike is scary
> enough ("Do I unplug the - cable first, or was it the + one?
> Ah never mind, I disconnect them both at the /same/ time...").

  Always take off the grounded/earthed cable first
  (so for most modern systems, the negative cable).
  That way, if your wrench/spanner accidentally bumps
  the frame while you're first loosening the cable
  clamp's bolt, nothing exciting happens: you've
  just shorted ground/earth to ground/earth.

  But if you try to take off the positive cable
  first and your wrench/spanner bridges "hot" to
  ground/earth, *MUCH MORE EXCITING THINGS* happen.

  If you've already opened the circuit by removing
  the negative cable, there's no possibility of
  excitement even if your wrench/spanner slips.

                             Atlant