[Interest] Qt5 - my hopes for when the dust settles...

Arno Rehn arno at arnorehn.de
Thu Aug 16 15:22:14 CEST 2012

On 16/08/12 13:07, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 16 de agosto de 2012 10.54.30, Mark Summerfield wrote:
>> - An introspection API similar in spirit to the one provided by Gtk+
>>    which is specifically designed to make it as straightforward as
>>    possible to add language bindings to Qt.
There is already such a thing:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke

It is currently used by the Ruby, Perl and C# bindings.

>> - One or more official language bindings using the introspection API,
>>    e.g., for Python and for Java.
>>
>>    (This is not a criticism of PySide; indeed I personally prefer using
>>     Python, but I think that it would be better if Qt provided a more
>>     language-agnostic---and uniform---approach to language bindings.)
>
> I'll leave that to the experts.
>
> But just think about this: is a generic approach to binding the best way to
> produce a tight and efficient binding in any language?
At least for dynamically typed languages, a sane approach is to use
introspection at runtime to create the bindings.

But granted, statically typed languages would probably benefit more from
an approach without any lookups done at runtime.
We are looking to improve Smoke for Qt5, so maybe we can come up with
something that improves this situation.

--
Arno Rehn