[Interest] Programming strategy for old-school, 2-d video game?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:12:22 CEST 2012

On 15/08/12 04:24, K. Frank wrote:
> Hi Nikos!
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd recommend SDL instead of Qt for this.  That way you get Android and
>> iOS compatibility too.  Take a look at a very short and easy to follow
>> tutorial/introduction for game programming with SDL and see if you like it:
>>
>>     http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
>
> Thank you for the link.  Nice web site with the tutorials.
>
> Android / iOS compatibility isn't really a big deal for me.  How would
> you compare Qt and SDL in terms of the following:
>
> Starting from scratch, which would be "better" for fairly simple 2-d
> games?  Power and feature-richness are good, but simplicity and
> a gentle learning curve are good too.
>
> Starting from some experience with desktop Qt applications (and
> no SDL experience), which would be better?

SDL is lower level than Qt, so there's a bit more work involved for
getting the graphics to the screen.

Since you're already familiar with Qt, then I suppose sticking with it
might be preferable.  You can still use SDL for audio; I do so myself
for Qt apps that need sound (Phonon is not good enough for many purposes.)