[Interest] Providing custom lib with static Qt modules (so no Qt dependency)

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 17:51:38 CET 2012

On 2/28/2012 9:41 AM, Francesco Nwokeka wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've encountered a problem with my library. I would like to provide my
> library with the Qt modules used. The library i'm working on is to be
> integrated into any program a developer chooses to add my library to. The final
> result will be something like this:
>
> Custom program -> (integrates) MyLib -> (which integrates) QtCore.a +
> QtNetwork.a
>
> Is this possibile? I want to provide Qt with my lib so that the final developer
> will not be forced to install Qt on his system to use my lib (myLib.a which
> includes the Qt modules used), but just use it.

The end user should not be "forced to install Qt" if you simply include the
shared libraries (e.g., libQtCore.so) to which your application has linked
when you distribute your files.  Yes, static can be more convenient, since you
needn't deal with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or with modifying the /etc files, to locate
the shared libraries.  But I don't think there's any need for a complete
install of Qt, unless the end user needs to use it directly (around your product).

Render me gone,                       |||
    I'm not so good with advice...can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?