[Interest] Providing custom lib with static Qt modules (so no Qt dependency)

Francesco Nwokeka francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:54:15 CET 2012

On Tuesday 28 February 2012 09:51:38 Bob Hood wrote:

> On 2/28/2012 9:41 AM, Francesco Nwokeka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I've encountered a problem with my library. I would like to provide my
> >
> > library with the Qt modules used. The library i'm working on is to be
> > integrated into any program a developer chooses to add my library to. The
> > final result will be something like this:
> >
> > Custom program -> (integrates) MyLib -> (which integrates) QtCore.a +
> > QtNetwork.a
> >
> > Is this possibile? I want to provide Qt with my lib so that the final
> > developer will not be forced to install Qt on his system to use my lib
> > (myLib.a which includes the Qt modules used), but just use it.
>
> The end user should not be "forced to install Qt" if you simply include the
> shared libraries (e.g., libQtCore.so) to which your application has linked
> when you distribute your files.
But what happens when a dev compiles his application with my library?

> Yes, static can be more convenient, since
> you needn't deal with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or with modifying the /etc files, to
> locate the shared libraries.  But I don't think there's any need for a
> complete install of Qt, unless the end user needs to use it directly
> (around your product).
Ok, so you say that I should include the dynamic modules of Qt that I use? But
doesn't that imply that the user has to have Qt installed on the system my lib
is running on?
I haven't made a lib upon another with the limitation to not create a
dependency to the developer using my lib so I'm new to this stuff. Any help on
proceding would be appreciated