[Interest] Qt5 on MSVC2008, Win7x64 (Tier1)?

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:06:06 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Bob Hood <bhood2 at comcast.net> wrote:

> <editorial>
> Honestly, bugs and all, I often wish I were still using VS2005.  Having
> used
> VS2008 for quite some time now, and having had a taste of VS2010, I'm more
> and
> more disappointed by how the IDE is becoming "webified".  Seriously,
> performance with each new release appears to be dropping such that I might
> as
> well be using Eclipse.  The only thing that keeps me using it is the
> integrated debugging (which is, of course, the best in the industry).
> </editorial>

Some notes about me:

I am using QtCreator since the day it was announced alpha for linux, and in
the last 2-3 years for developing non Qt C/C++ projects on my work place.
The last year using git snaphots (I recompile master almost every day,
today I decided to use 2.5, just because I can).

Just out of couriosity:
Why not using QtCreator? You can hook qmake/cmake to use CL.exe and get the
compiler you need (I actually would use mingw, or even clang... but that's
me).

What I do think about QtCreator:

   - The text editor is FAST. The experience does not degrade if you leave
   the APP open for several days.
   - The application is very keyboard oriented  - I do not use the mouse at
   all.
   - The real estate available for editing is the most effective I have
   seen. (eclipse is the worst, VisualStudio 2008 is not that bad).
   - The code navigation is really nice:
      - put your cursor over a variable and you can see where its used
      - F2- goto definition
      - the overlay to show blocks is nice for displaying code to your
      co-workers/boss
      - Screen split is *way cooler.* I abuse it.
   - There are some shortcut keys I miss from MSVC - like collapse to
   definitions.
   - The integration with the version control is a killer feature. I work
   with IAR Embedded workbench and I cry a little. (alt+s, alt+d - subversion
   difff).
   - Renaming variables is kinda nice, shame it works on a method basis
   only. Eclipse does it better - but since it's slow as hell - I usually do
   it manually when I program in Java.

Really - why do you cry about using an IDE... when you are not tied to it?
You should use the best compiler available... but the IDE is just a GUI.
Change it.