[Interest] Working with QDateTime's timezone information

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Jun 14 00:00:53 CEST 2012

On 12 June 2012 15:26, Jan Kundrát <jkt at flaska.net> wrote:

> So, the questions:
>
> - Is there a publicly available way of doing what I want to do, ie. am I
> missing something?

Almost certainly not.  In KDE we implemented our own KDateTime and
KTimeZone classes to handle it properly, although QDateTime is used as
the interface format.  Have a look at those if you need some ideas.

> - Does Qt5 change anything in this matter?

I plan to, but only in Qt 5.1 I'm afraid.

> - Would I hit any obstacle in Qt 4.7+ if I decied to use QDateTime's
> *internal* functions setUtcOffset() and utcOffset()? I see that I
> shouldn't be using them, but in this case it seems to me that they
> publish information which is only hardly available in other ways, so
> it's *so* tempting to just have a look at them.

They are marked in the API dox as internal, but they are public
methods in a public class so their signature shouldn't be changing,
and I know of no reason or plans to change them in 4.8.x.  That said,
I can't 100% guarantee it so it's at your own risk.  I ran across this
the other day and was very surprised by it.  I intend to make them
public in Qt 5.1, once I've figured out why they were marked internal
in the first place.

Cheers!

John.