[Interest] Does it really worth it?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Mar 27 13:59:53 CEST 2012

Op 27-3-2012 12:40, josemaria at gomezvergara.es schreef:
> I would like to dedicate all my energy to only one technology during the
> next 3 years. I was thinking to do a useful thing and to be honest I was
> thinking in doing some kind of a good chart library for Qt. The thing is
> that I dont really sure if Qt has a really good future.
>
> I mean. Nokia bought it but when everybody was expecting how nokia was
> going to use it in their mobiles and tables, they left it and took
> Microsoft for that. Now, it is a open project, what is good, but my
> question is... how can I know if Qt will be alive in 2015? Should I
> dedicate energy to create some kind of http://www.steema.com/teechart/vcl.
> Do you think that there is customers enough to support it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and opinions

First of all: don't expect the Qt community to have a non-biased
response to such a question. That includes yours truly.

I think most of us would agree that Nokia's communication about the role
of Qt in it's mobile phone stragegy has been... eh... lacking. I have
good confidence, based on bits & pieces and statements from people I
trust, that there is a good place for Qt still on that front, but nobody
can say for sure. The question you'll have to answer for yourself, is if
Nokia's commitment to use Qt will influence your own position? 3 to 5
years is a long time in computing, and it is hard to see what the future
will bring. 3 years ago, few would have predicted the postion tablets
now seem to gain in the market, and fewer would have believed those
predictions.

I think there is plenty of reason to trust to building on Qt, and I and
many other people here make a living doing so. But there is no guarantee.

Perhaps you should ask your question broader, and weigh it against your
alternatives. What is a viable alternative to Qt for your goals?

André