[Interest] Is Qt Library for OS X frameworks only?

Stephen Chu stephen at ju-ju.com
Wed Oct 17 17:30:55 CEST 2012

On 10/17/12 11:17 AM, Andrea Franceschini wrote:
> 2012/10/17 Daniel Price <daniel.price at fxhome.com>:
>
>> I always build Qt on the Mac without frameworks. I have no idea
>> why Qt/mac defaults to using fraweworks as they add no value
>> (with one exception - the dummy menu nib) and just make
>> deployment 1000x harder.
>
> I may very well be wrong on this but I thought frameworks get included
> in the app bundle, hence making deployment way easier (but obviously
> heavier as it's almost like statically linking libs inside the
> executable). I find the shared libs deploy-once-run-everything better
> from an engineering point of view, but I recognise Apple's bundles and
> frameworks have some good points (like avoiding littering the
> filesystem with exotic libs that are only used by one application).

You can bundle anything in the application. Frameworks, dynamic
libraries, etc. A framework is just a wrapper to one or more dynamic
libraries.

When bundling, you have to handle the nasty install name relationship of
a dynamic library regardless of it's in a framework or just a naked dylib.

Actually, macdeployqt utility copy naked dylib into the application
bundle if the library is in one of few specific locations.

Also, Qt's own plugins are naked dylibs in the plugins folder when bundled.