[Interest] Heavily Commented Example: Simple Single Frontend with Two Backends

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Mon Oct 22 14:27:49 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel,

No matter what you do, you have an object living between threads. If you
use AOD, then that object is the one with this "problem". Something
needs to sit between the threads. That might not be the case in boost,
but in Qt there is no way around this. You need an object to hold the
thread, and that object is not in the thread itself. QThread is the one
with this problem, if you subclass it. If not, the object holding the
QThread is because it will instantiate objects for the new thread.

I'd disagree any day that boost has a better thread model than Qt (still
have nightmares about ASIO), but hey, I'm a Qt expert, not a boost expert :)

Bo.