[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 19:16:58 CEST 2013

Am 10.04.2013 um 15:44 schrieb Christian Dähn <daehn at asinteg.de>:

> To prevent these discussions I strongly said "spreaded" projects

Oops, sorry, my wrong! I took "spread" as in "a huge project with 500 libs all spread around across network drives / totally unorganised / non-hierarchical" ;)

I'm far from saying that "I've seen it all!", but I've been in projects where Management(tm) made people send in their changes by email (!) (yes, the good ol' tar.gz format - serves it all) every other week to a Release Manager (as in "a real person") who then went on to manually merge (!) all incoming changes (done by 30 developers or so), compile a new build and distribute the latest merged result / compiled libs back to all developers within one up to three days.

Needless to say that if you continued to work on a given source within that three day period you had to manually merge your local copy again... distributed development at its best!

And yes, even SVN started to become popular at those times, so CVS was available for sure! In fact, some developers maintained their own private CVS repository, as to at least fascilitate the "local merge" ;)

Tales From The Crypt...

Cheers,
  Oliver