[Interest] Oops! Somebody's got a bad case of dependency bloat!

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Thu Apr 11 12:55:21 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Wednesday 10 April 2013 21:35:04 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I also call into question giving a developer such a locked down system. If
> an employee needs a given tool to accomplish a job, give it to them. Don't
> make the employee work around the issue and waste their time.

Unfortunately this is often reality. You can question the sanity and/or IQ of
the managers responsible, but it won't do you any good: they have more power
and money than you as a "lowly coder" do. And those policies often exist for
very real reasons - like that pesky production line that loses the company
Megabucks per day if it stops.

Reality Sucks.

> What you said about Gitorious and other Git repositories reminds me of a
> developer who needed that for his *job* and their IT people would not /
> could not provide a solution. Why should the Qt Project create
> workarounds? Who's going to pay for the sysadmin time spent on setting up
> the solution, monitoring it, and for the static IP assigned to that one
> use? Give the employees the tools and means that they need to accomplish
> their jobs effectively. IT is there to help, not hinder.

If you are one of less than a dozen people who could conceivably use this kind
of access and there are over 10000 other employees who definitely do not need
it, a large company IT department tends to have a kind of perspective that may
seem condescending to you. Compared with those thousands of others, the
protection of production equipment, and protecting their own backsides you
find yourself at a severely limited priority.

Reality Sucks A Lot.

There are several dozen more reasons for corporations to behave like that.
From a developer perspective a lot of them often seem ridiculous, but you have
to put up with the situation, because you have neither the time (counted in
decades), energy (usually counted in weeks of your spare time to prepare
arguments), job security (most developers are not so indispensable to not be
fired at a whim), or access (in terms of key cards to the manager meeting
rooms) to change any of this.

Reality Clearly Has An Anti-Developer Attitude.

So in short: anything that the Qt-Project can do to help those poor condemned
corporate souls will earn it eternal gratitude (or at least a few flame-wars
less).

	SCNR, Konrad