[Interest] [Mingw-w64-public] Not getting large file support when configuring Qt 4.8.4 for win32-g++-4.6

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 14:43:26 CEST 2013

Hi Kai!

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:47 AM, Koehne Kai <> wrote:
> [...]

[concerning multiple defines of the macro QT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT]

> Run configure with -v option to see the configure log. Anyhow, there's indeed
> No compile time check... configure.exe in qt4 just sets it to 'NO'.

Thanks, I should have known that.  Good to remember for the future.

> Actually the configure option is new in 4.8.4, and a backport from qt 5.0 :
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,27591

Thanks for the explanation.

> Unfortunately the following fix for the multiple defines issue wasn't backported:
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,29140
>
> I uploaded
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/53769
>
> to fix it in the next qt 4.8 release.
>
> So ... LFS is enabled with 4.8.4 on MinGW by default, and the configure output is just plain wrong. Just ignore it.

Okay, just to confirm:  The multiple-define warnings are just that,
annoying warnings.  I can safely ignore them.  True?

Also, if I care to eliminate the warnings, I can hand edit my
qmake.conf file to make the one-line change removing the
QT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT define, following the patch you
posted the link to.  True?

(I understand that there are a bunch of qmake.conf files.  As
a practical matter I only need to edit the qmake.conf that
corresponds to the "-platform" I use for my build.)

> Regards
>
> Kai

Thanks for your help sorting this out.

K. Frank