[Interest] Performance tips for 'ticker' animation?

Tomasz Olszak olszak.tomasz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 13:29:14 CEST 2013

2013/8/7 Cornelius Hald <hald at icandy.de>

> I've used the QML profiler to gather more information. Basically the
> only thing that is going on is painting via "Animation Timer Update".
>
> The profiler tells me that framerates are around 50 to 60 fps, so I
> think it should still look smooth. Unfortunately it doesn't.
>
> Are there ways to accelerate painting? Clipping is off and I tried
> without antialiasing but couldn't see a difference.
>
> Thanks,
> Conny
>

> On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 11:49 +0200, Cornelius Hald wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm having a kiosk application displaying video and web content in
> > FullHD using QtQuick 2.1 on Linux Qt 5.1.
> >
> > Now I've added a text ticker that sits at the bottom of the screen and
> > scrolls text from right to left.
> >
> > If I only display the ticker, the animation is smooth. But as soon as I
> > play a video or display (static) web content in the background, the
> > ticker animation starts to stutter quite badly. Still the CPU load is
> > only around 30%.
> >
> > Does anyone have some tips on how to improve the visual smoothness of
> > the ticker animation?
> >
> > Below is the code I'm currently using to animate the ticker.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Conny
> >

> > import QtQuick 2.1
> > Rectangle {
> >   id: root
> >   property alias text: text.text
> >   height: 100
> >   color: "red"
> >
> >   Text {
> >     id: text
> >     text: "This is some ticker text that gets displayed whenever you're
> > seeing this ticker here, bla bla bla..."
> >     color: "white"
> >     font.pixelSize: 80
> >     anchors.verticalCenter: parent.verticalCenter
> >
> >     NumberAnimation on x {
> >       from: root.width
> >       to: -text.width
> >       duration: text.width * 10
> >       loops: Animation.Infinite
> >       onFromChanged: restart()
> >     }
> >   }
> > }

Could you please test it on different machine and GPU.
I have encountered some issues with Intel integrated graphics. When Item
was animated and it was on top of the scene (some kind of overlay) it
blinked multiple times a second. With NVidia and arm mali it was Ok.
Maybe you have similar problem.

--
regards,
Tomasz Olszak