[Interest] QtMultimedia examples don't play video on all systems?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 19:41:59 CEST 2013

I've built the video examples that come with the 5.1.0 beta
("videowidget" and "player").  They are unable to play video when
running the *.exe in a VMWare environment running XP and 7.  It works
fine on a native Windows 7 environment with the NVidia drivers
installed.  The same videos play just fine in Windows Media Player
inside VMWare, so since QtMultimedia also uses DirectShow, I assume it
should be working fine.

What causes that?