[Interest] New window in Qt makes the application activate

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Tue Feb 4 14:47:07 CET 2014

On 4 Feb 2014, at 1:14 PM, william.crocker at analog.com wrote:

> On 02/03/2014 11:32 PM, Mandeep Sandhu wrote:
>>

>>    As part of a (partly mistaken) emulation of some ancient Macintosh API's I
>>    was calling QWidget::activateWindow(). If the application is not active,
>>    that both makes the window active, and it makes the application active. I
>>    guess it's debatable whether activateWindow() should activate the
>>    application. I expected that it would just make the window the active window
>>    (painted with active appearance, ready to accept focus, title bar buttons
>>    with active appearance, etc.) or ready to be the active window when the
>>    application activated. The application can be activated via a click in the
>>    Dock icon, which doesn't select a window to be the active window, so
>>    whatever was active (or made active when the application is not active?)
>>    previously now becomes the active window.
>>

> What does it mean to "activate the application".
>
> Isn't it just a question of whether the app
> steals the keyboard focus?

It means to bring it to the foreground so that it has an active-looking titlebar.  On OSX, it might also mean bring all the application's windows in front, and maybe even steal focus (but it's good that's not recommended), depending on options.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/AppKit/Reference/NSRunningApplication_Class/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/c/tdef/NSApplicationActivationOptions