[Interest] Qt5, XCB and X11

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Fri Jul 11 09:54:25 CEST 2014

On 11 Jul 2014, at 6:14 AM, <Lachlan.Hetherton at csiro.au>
 <Lachlan.Hetherton at csiro.au> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> We are looking to upgrade our existing application from Qt4 to Qt5.3.0. Our application is deployed to Linux, Windows and Mac systems, which we manage by shipping compiled copies of the Qt libraries. An extremely simplified snapshot of our current process for building a Linux version of our application is as follows:
> 	• Build the Qt libraries using the LSB compiler (LSB version 4.1), maximizing their portability
> 	• Build our application against the Qt libraries also using the LSB compiler
> 	• Bundle the libs and executables up into a single RPM ready for shipping
> We have gone a long way toward replicating this process for the Qt5 version of our application, however, we have encountered a few problems:
> 	• Qt5 has hard dependencies on libxcb (even with -qt–xcb enabled in the configuration), as well as libX11-xcb, and therefore libX11 (though not direct)
> 	• The LSB does not contain these libraries

GTK depends on them too, and LSB includes GTK; so I don't understand how it could be absent.

> 	• One of the Linux distributions we deploy to (SLED 11) does not provide up-to-date versions of these libraries

How can it be considered compliant with LSB 4.1 then?  If you built Qt in an environment that provides nothing more than LSB functionality, then Qt should not be able to depend on features that are absent in the LSB versions of the libs, right?

Do you know which functions are missing in those libs, which Qt depends on?

(Disclaimer: I've never tried to create a portable LSB binary before.  Often it's enough to build on the oldest distro which you expect to support, because newer distros will have libs offering a superset of the functionality.)