[Interest] Application build times using Qt4 vs Qt5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 31 03:08:13 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 29 July 2014 11:22:52 Adam Light wrote:
> I've noticed that compiling my application takes considerably longer when
> compiling using Qt5 vs. Qt 4. This is true on Macintosh 10.9 and Windows 7.
> I'm comparing builds done using the same machine with the same application
> source code.
>
> For example,
> Macintosh:
> Qt 4.8.6: Elapsed time: 06:20
> Qt 5.4-dev: Elapsed time: 08:51.
>
> Windows:
> Qt 4.8.6: Elapsed time: 04:51.
> Qt 5.4-dev: Elapsed time: 10:23.

The increase in build time is not unexpected. Qt 5 is bigger and has more
complex constructs. We also forcibly include more of the Standard Library
headers, which causes an increase in build time too.

The Windows time increase is more than I'd expect, though. As Kai said, it's
probably caused by qmake being slow for some reason.

> Qt4: echo yes | MAKEFLAGS=-j16
> QMAKESPEC=/qtbuild/qt/mkspecs/unsupported/macx-clang ../../qt/configure
> -debug-and-release -opensource -no-qt3support -nomake examples -nomake
> demos -nomake tests -silent -no-sql-mysql -no-webkit -cocoa -arch x86_64
> -arch x86 -no-phonon -no-phonon-backend -prefix /qtbuild/install/macosx

Hint: use -confirm-license instead of that "echo yes"