[Interest] How to force scroll bars always visible on Mac

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Tue Apr 7 18:03:23 CEST 2015

Whether you agree with the design or not, that's the way it is. Presumably, if you hover where the scroll bars *should* be, they should show up if they are needed. As a 25-year Macintosh user I hate it!

The behavior is controlled by the user via the General control panel. There are three radio buttons for "Show scroll bars:" Automatically (what I described), When scrolling (I think that's like when you drag with two fingers), and Always. Being an old-time Mac user who believes in the old Mac HIG that said we shouldn't have hidden UI elements, I have mine set to Always.

-John Weeks