[Interest] Advice for a beginner QT-GL programmer about 3D frameworks for data visualization

Carlos Jordão carlosjordao at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:59:30 CEST 2015

Dear list,

I want to start a personal project about Network data visualization in 3D,
using python. I want to learn more deeply about python and some network
specifics behaviors (the main thing), putting this in a 3D environment - it
is a requirement, but I don't want to waste too much time on this. The 3D
environment would be something restricted, like Flyby Camera moving as
"Minecraft" in Creative mode, inside a finite rectangular box where data is
plotted. I intend to put some animations, in order to visualize network
flows.

However, I've never programmed a 3D application before, and I don't know
where to start first. I'm considering using python and QT-GL, as they seem
to be a good fit and flexible. I'm looking for 3D frameworks to let me
focus on other aspects of this software. VTK like seems very good, complete
but very specific to data visualization, which limits how data is shown and
I couldn't figure out a way to override this. Others frameworks like vispy
or PhiloGL are interesting, but I would have some programming to adjust
things exactly. Game engines don't seem to fit well.

So, I would like to hear a advice from who has experience in 3D programming
field about useful frameworks to this situation (or point out some
directions). Books sugestions are welcome. I understand that some
programming is always necessary, but I prefer to avoid getting stuck making
workarounds on a 3D framework just to get what I want.

Thanks