[Interest] New Development Environment

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Sun Feb 8 22:59:24 CET 2015

El Saturday 07 February 2015, Karl Ruetz escribió:
> I’d like to save a little of trial and error and find out what version of
> Ubuntu 64-bit would be best to use if we plan to setup Qt and QtCreator
> from the latest Enterprise versions available.

I'd say "all" of them (but I'd would use only latest stable or latest LTS).
More than how well Qt or Qt Creator works in the distro (all worked the same
in my experience, but I used the binaries provided by the Qt project), I would
worry about the development tools, or just the environment where the developer
is going to work on (if it's not just a virtual environment, the developer is
going to need a browser and plenty of other tools there as well).

Having a newer compiler available out of the box is nice, but sometimes this
not an issue if the distribution or other third parties has a large enough
community to provide additional packages, for example:

http://llvm.org/apt/

I had a really bad experience with Ubuntu, though, where in a stable release
they shipped a pre-release GDB version, and it had a bug that made debugging
on Creator just impossible. So yes, Ubuntu is popular and everything, but no
distribution or version of it is just going to be the best for everyone.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2