[Interest] "-glib" has no effect?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 04:09:56 CET 2015

On 20/02/15 03:53, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2015 03:37:39 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> I've built Qt 4.8.6 for windows (with mingw cross compiler from Linux)
>> and configured with with "-glib" [...]
>>
>> However, it doesn't seem to have any effect.
>
> [...] The Windows event dispatcher is independent of glib and cannot run
> it. I don't think GMainLoop even has the ability to attach WinSock sockets and
> Windows HANDLEs. All I can see in its API are source for idle, timers and Unix
> file descriptors.
>
> If you really need glib, start a thread and give it to glib, remembering the
> constraints about not using QWidget outside the Qt GUI thread.

Ah, thanks. Actually I don't even need GMainLoop. It's just that
gstreamer does message dispatch through it *if* there one currently
running. But otherwise, there's hooks to advance the internal gstreamer
bus messages manually through gst_bus_pop().

Running gst_bus_pop() through a QTimer every 5ms or so works. But that
looks very inefficient to me. I guess I'll go with a threaded GMainLoop
anyway to avoid the QTimer kludge.