[Interest] building only a platform plugin?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 22:02:52 CET 2015

On Tuesday January 27 2015 11:43:40 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> FWIW: after building qtbase with xcb support and installing just the additional files listed in my previous email, I then proceeded to
snip
> A few observations:

Here's a screenshot of Qt's own Assistant, displaying through my X server (XQuartz) and natively. They share the exact same settings, of course.

https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/46536/Qt54-Assistant-cocoa-vs-xcb.png

It shows several things:

- the aforementioned application font size issue: the native version (lower/front window) has the correct size. The font also looks squashed. This is Novarese Medium, btw. That is, it's supposed to be the medium weight typeface...
- the window background colour is off. This is not a result of the style I'm using here (QtCurve); all styles show the same colour.
- The browser apparently uses the correct display resolution (DPI) setting, as shown by the (near) identical font sizes in the displayed documentation (which of course uses the document's font, not the selected browser font).

- The problem with less basic font styles sadly occurs with the freetype/fontconfig engine too. Here I have selected Source Sans Pro Semibold, then OK'ed the dialog. After reopening the dialog, the font preview changed and the style list no longer shows the selected style.
This does not happen when selecting a regular or bold style.
Qt 4 and Qt 5 are equally afflicted by this issue which is really annoying as some of the best UI fonts are medium/semibold weights.

Other than that, this screenshot also shows the benefit of the Infinality patches in conjunction with bohoomil's "ultimate" fontconfig database. Here I've chosen a rather light rendering, but even with a heavier setting the result remains better defined, less fuzzy and ultimately more readable with the freetype fontengine than with Cocoa's CoreText.

R.