[Interest] Indie Mobil Program terminated?

Turunen Tuukka tuukka.turunen at theqtcompany.com
Tue Jul 7 07:38:21 CEST 2015

Hi Mark,

We know that the mobile ports to non-Nokia platforms came a bit later than to certain other cross-platform tools. We also know that there are still some Qt APIs that are not working on all mobile platforms, especially Windows Phone still missing some APIs like Qt Purchasing. On the other hand Qt already supports much more functionality on mobile than many of those frameworks that have been out longer. Also, Qt provides the option to scale to desktop and embedded (which of course may not be what mobile app developers seek).

I am sorry to hear that you and others are dissatisfied with removal of Indie Mobile product from new sales. We do understand your points, and are not disagreeing with many of them. We also admit that we should have announced earlier that new sales of Indie Mobile will be discontinued. Therefore we have extended sales of Indie Mobile until end of August. Those who have subscribed to it, can continue also after August.

We are continuing to invest into mobile platforms, as well as desktop and embedded. Qt 5.5 provides many improvements in iOS, Android and WinRT - as well as new APIs such as Qt Location. Qt 5.6 (to be released in December) again brings new stuff that helps making great mobile apps.

There are already many really good mobile apps created with Qt and the number is growing. We are happy about each and every one of these apps and want to present these at showroom.qt.io

We are also happy that the overall Qt business is growing and that Qt is stronger today than it has ever been. But we are not happy with the amount of Indie Mobile subscriptions. These have not picked up despite of campaigns and marketing investments. Therefore we decided that this product is not doing what it should, and that we want to discontinue it. We are continuously thinking what approach would be better and we do value the feedback you and others have given us in the different forums.

Yours,

                   Tuukka