[Interest] Qt 5.4.0: building qtwebengine out-of-tree?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Mar 4 02:13:51 CET 2015

On Wednesday 04 March 2015 01:13:59 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I don't really understand. What do you mean with a developer build - isn't
> any Qt version built from sources a developer build?

He means "a build done using the configure switch -developer-build".

That switch is meant for developers developing Qt itself. It does:
 -DQT_BUILD_INTERNAL		(adds extra code and exports for unit testing)
 -Werror
 -headerscheck
  enable "private_tests"		(tests that require private API)
 -prefix $PWD
 -debug

Unless you mean to develop Qt and submit contributions, you should not use
this switch. The first four effects are really strong and will cause code to
become slower. The compilation time should also increase by as much as 33%.
Also note the -Werror: if you get a warning-turned-error problem, you're
expected to submit the fix to the warning.

If you're just using Qt, you should stay away from this switch.