[Interest] Qt licensing and using qmake for non-Qt projects

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Mar 13 20:50:56 CET 2015

On Friday 13 March 2015 14:42:22 Preet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tend to use QtCreator and qmake for all of my projects, even those that
> don't use Qt. Something I haven't really considered is how the usage of
> qmake might affect what I build with it from a licensing stand point.
>
> qmake uses mkspecs, and (possibly?) other files from the qt source tree. On
> certain platforms, additional tools like androiddeployqt might also be used.
>
> Could anyone clarify whether or not using qt build tools imposes any
> licensing requirements on the resulting binaries or packages? This is with
> the assumption that no other parts of the Qt library are being included, ie
> in a qmake project file:

The GPL and LGPL specifically say that they do not imply anything about the
running of the application.

The licensing of the tool does not imply anything in your software, unless the
tool copies part of its source code to the output. That is not the case for
qmake, moc, uic, rcc, qdbusxml2cpp, qdbuscppx2xml, etc.