[Interest] newbie question: QT Quick/QML or QT Widgets

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Sat Oct 31 13:06:12 CET 2015

El Saturday 31 October 2015, anton escribió:
> I am wondering what to use if I want to start with QT.

First, know that we are a bit pedantic about the name, and we like to spell it
Qt, not QT. QT is for QuickTime.

> I have the impression that QT Quick QML is the future but:

Both Qt Widgets and Qt Quick are the present, but have different strenghts and
weaknesses.

>  - I read somwehere that QT Quick is slow on devices like
>    Raspberry PI due to resource consumption, and that
>    this issue it will be adressed later.

I don't think so. It depends on what application you want to run on it. The
thing that was kind of slow were Qt Quick Controls (the predefined components
to create buttons, dialogs, etc. with Qt Quick). Those are being rewritten.
But on a device like that you might not use them that much. So again, depends
on the application you want.

Tell us the requirements of your application.

>  - QT Creator seems to be still beta concerning the
>    QT Quick/QML designer and it seems that people dont
>    use it ? Like in the comments:
>    http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/10/27/qt-creator-3-6-beta1-released/#comment
> -1196805
>
> Hmmm if QTQuick is the future why does QTCreator a designer
> which does not work properly ???

If you are starting with Qt, you should not judge the state of the visual
designer so lightly, based on two comments on a blog post. I haven't used it
more than 5 minutes, ever, but I can tell you that it's been changing to be
more reliable (limiting the scope of the files that it can edit, for example).

Also, the difference of the visual editor for QML files and UI files (for
widgets) is significant in that you are not expected to edit by hand the UI
files, but the QML ones can be perfectly written by hand without a visual
designer.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2