[Interest] Lovely Arabic/Persian layout challenges

mark diener rpzrpzrpz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:55:23 CEST 2015

Hello List:

Has anybody come across how to control right to left languages with respect
to alignment application wide.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qguiapplication.html#layoutDirection-prop

In my case, I need to project arabic along with english.

But the shifting of left to right layout and right to left
is not just individual component level, but application wide
and dynamic based on language toggling.
QApplication->setLayoutDirection() seems to have little effect
on QML Text

For example:

النقاط MMX:

When displayed in QML app mixes up the stored string
and re-arranges it:

:MMX النقاط

Now, that means we actually need the Text QML objects themselves to mirror
to follow along with layout.

What would be wonderful is application wide layout mirroring where if we
have a left to right language installed, the entire QML inventory could be
virtually swapped to support it and thus not require a Left to Right and
Right to Left layout for all the nicely positioned QML components that were
designed with left to right to start with.

If you have 50 QML layouts, that is a lot of work to get it looking good
with Arabic AND English unless you dedicate a separate set of QML inventory
to support Right to Left.

Any body have some reflections and/or tips on this?

Especially anybody from Arabic part of the community.