[Interest] Is Qt/QML suitable for me?

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 21:38:58 CEST 2016

On 8/30/2016 1:11 PM, Артур Истомин wrote:
> I want to convert my POS (point of sale) software (long ugly shell-scripts)
> to GUI-software for mobile (Android) and desktop (Linux/Windows) devices.
>
> I don't know C++ but know some JS. So is it possible to write my
> application, POS, entirely on JavaScript? Almost all application logic are
> sql transactions with local sqlite database.

Honestly, I think Qt is the best framework for C++ that I've seen in my entire
career (spanning back to the early 1980s). However, if you don't already
/know/C++, then you will have a substantially greater learning curve just to
get to use Qt for the application you want to write.  As much as the standards
committee is trying to turn C++ into a scripting language, it still has it's
roots in C, and Here Be Monsters for the uninitiated.

I think it is a good thing to have at least some familiarity with a modern,
native language like C++ or C# (which is arguably designed after Java), but in
your particular case, only having had exposure to something more akin to a
scripting language, I'd recommend you evaluate using Python with PySide (which
is Python bindings for Qt) to port your point-of-sale software there.  That
would not only put you into the more familiar (and more forgiving) territory
of a rapid-development scripting language, you'd also get to learn Qt at the
same time, and could later transition to C++ already having knowledge of how
to leverage the Qt framework within it.

Just a recommendation.  :)