[Interest] Is Qt/QML suitable for me?

Артур Истомин art.istom at yandex.ru
Tue Aug 30 22:28:28 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 01:38:58PM -0600, Bob Hood wrote:
> On 8/30/2016 1:11 PM, Артур Истомин wrote:
> >I want to convert my POS (point of sale) software (long ugly shell-scripts)
> >to GUI-software for mobile (Android) and desktop (Linux/Windows) devices.
> >
> >I don't know C++ but know some JS. So is it possible to write my
> >application, POS, entirely on JavaScript? Almost all application logic are
> >sql transactions with local sqlite database.
>
> Honestly, I think Qt is the best framework for C++ that I've seen in my
> entire career (spanning back to the early 1980s). However, if you don't
> already /know/C++, then you will have a substantially greater learning curve
> just to get to use Qt for the application you want to write.  As much as the
> standards committee is trying to turn C++ into a scripting language, it
> still has it's roots in C, and Here Be Monsters for the uninitiated.
>
> I think it is a good thing to have at least some familiarity with a modern,
> native language like C++ or C# (which is arguably designed after Java), but
> in your particular case, only having had exposure to something more akin to
> a scripting language, I'd recommend you evaluate using Python with PySide
> (which is Python bindings for Qt) to port your point-of-sale software there.
> That would not only put you into the more familiar (and more forgiving)
> territory of a rapid-development scripting language, you'd also get to learn
> Qt at the same time, and could later transition to C++ already having
> knowledge of how to leverage the Qt framework within it.

I was considering python as candidate to C++. But as far as I understand it is mostly impossible to develop with python for Android. Or python bindings for Qt
has nothing in common with run python code on Android devices? I'm sorry if my
questions/views seriously skewed, my programming skills are little more than just a shell-scripting and two js-forms on simple web-page.

More importantly, if I understand correctly with JS I can achieve more than
with python because it is already included in Qt framework, is it true?

Thanks for your recommendations!