[Interest] script invoked with QProcess cannot open files with spaces in path

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Wed Aug 31 10:28:08 CEST 2016

Am 31.08.2016 um 02:02 schrieb Kyle Altendorf:

> On August 30, 2016 7:44:14 PM EDT, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:
>>
>> On August 30, 2016 4:28:25 PM EDT, Larry Martell
>> <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am invoking a python script with QProcess. I have found that if the
>>> script tries to open a file that has spaces in the path, no error is
>>> thrown, but the file always appears to have 0 length. The same script
>>> with the same file with spaces in the path invoked from the command
>>> line works fine. Note that this has nothing to do with argument
>>> passing from the C++ code to the script via QProcess - the file path
>>> name is hardcoded in the script. If the file has no spaces in its path
>>> it is opened fine. I have tied escaping the spaces with \ but no joy.
>>> Anyone know why this would be happening and know a way around this?
>> Try printing sys.executable and os.getcwd() and see if they show any
>> differences that might shed some light.  I'm on my phone so hopefully I
>> am remembering those correctly.
> Or, is the file being accessed or created by the calling C++ application?  Depending on how each opens it there could be a conflict of sorts there.

Interesting idea - if the C++ code creates the file and starts python
without closing the file, that might explain the behavior... although
the python script SHOULD throw an exception or something instead of
in python...

Viktor

--

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin
Viktor.Engelmann at qt.io
+49 151 26784521
http://qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B
<http://qt.io>
<http://www.facebook.com/Qt> 	<http://www.twitter.com/qtproject>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-qt-company/>
<https://plus.google.com/104580575722059274792>
<https://www.youtube.com/QtStudios>

Qt World Summit 2016 <http://qtworldsummit.com/>
Qt World Summit 2016 | Pier 27, San Francisco, CA
Experience Exponential Potential on October 18-20
www.qtworldsummit.com <http://www.qtworldsummit.com>