[Interest] smoothest way to zoom/pan QGraphicsView?

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Fri Apr 7 15:56:15 CEST 2017

On 7 April 2017 at 19:41, Jean-Michaël Celerier
<jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my experience setting a GL viewport makes everything much less snappy (at
> least on linux & os x, did not test on windows).
>
> Here is a video of my software with GL viewport: https://vid.me/kjRe
> And without: https://vid.me/e2vu
>
> As you can see (as far as one can see in such a video), when I move the
> object with the GL viewport there is a visible lag between the position of
> the cursor and the position of the object ; much less when there is only
> software rendering.
> The experience is even worse on macOS, but maybe because of the performance
> cost of retina.
> I also tried porting the main view to QtQuick 2 but it is roughly the same
> "laggy" performance.

My experience with QGraphicsView and GL viewport is that it can
actually slow down the rendering. This is especially true when you
have lot of small static items (by a lot i mean 1K+).
After lot of trial, i decided that _in my case_, there was no point
using GL viewport, it gave me more problems than benefits.
Big QPainterPath with OpenGL will cause trouble as well, i use to get
every now and then warning messages like 'QPainterPath size is greater
than 32K pixels!' and a black viewport...
The QGraphicsView Framework is a nice piece of software, but it takes
lot of time to discover its quirks and limitations.
QGraphicsPathItem has serious problems as well when used in a scene
where you have to deal with small sizes (eg, better use a
QGraphicsScene 'resolution' of 1.0 than 1E-6. QPainterPath uses
QPointF but doesn't scale well, it is still a screen/pixel primitive.

Chris