[Interest] Getting a QImage from an QML Image, protocol, , agnostic QImage?

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun Apr 16 14:50:48 CEST 2017

Andre',

I live in America where only the organized crime family known as Google
is allowed to commit copyright infringement with wanton abandonment.

Copyright has many international treaties which in many/most cases means
each country involved in the treaty agrees to honor and respect the
copyright laws of the other. This means it doesn't matter what the
copyright laws are in _your_ country only what the copyright laws are in
the country of the copyright owner _if and only if_ both countries share
a copyright treaty. Here is a link to partial information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_international_copyright_agreements

I say it is partial because trademark and copyright law is almost always
part of trade deals. The trade deal which moved a huge amount of
computer chip production to Taiwan included such protections. The chip
fabrication work would not move there without it.

Putting it bluntly, the average schmoe cannot honestly determine which
set of copyright law governs which work when the copyright holder is not
the ever immortal "public domain." Just because it is "on the Web"
doesn't mean it is free to take and use any way you want, despite the
criminal activity of Google. You don't have Google's bank account for
the purchase of judges and public officials.

There are common practices which can avoid all major copyright
infringement issues.

1) Only link to it, never copy it to any form of media in a non-mangled
usable form.

2) Never give the impression it is yours.

3) Always provide a link back to it, preferably to the page which
contains it, but some image repos only have galleries.

4) Where possible give credit to copyright holder or the source you
linked to. (Most news outlets purchase printing rights of images from
photographers through services so in many cases you can only say
something like "this photo in USA Today January 27, 1994..."

In general, this is the currently acceptable common courtesy/practice.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com