[Interest] News about Qt on QNX ?

Julien Bordes julienbordes at hotmail.fr
Mon Aug 28 17:03:07 CEST 2017

Hello All,

I am currently developing a QtQuick/QML based application with Qt 5.9.1 and QNX 6.6 on a iMX6 platform with a Linux workstation and I have some difficulties to get fresh informations about Qt on QNX and I don't know where to look anymore.

I first searched in the wiki but it was updated for the last time in April 2015 (http://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Status_on_QNX) and there is no news on the Qt documentation (http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/platform-notes-qnx.html) and in Supported platforms (http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/supported-platforms.html).

The most recent informations I found are in this presentation from September 2016 at QtCon by James McDonnel https://conf.qtcon.org/system/attachments/154/original/Qt_on_QNX_-_2016_-_003.pdf?1474298472) and in the Qt mailing list archives (http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2017-March/029347.html).

Qt on QNX - QtCon<https://conf.qtcon.org/system/attachments/154/original/Qt_on_QNX_-_2016_-_003.pdf?1474298472>
conf.qtcon.org
Qt on QNX What’s happening with Qt for QNX James McDonnell Senior So;ware Engineer QNX So;ware Systems

Based on those previous statements I have some questions, regarding Qt on QNX.

- Roadmap and Modules support

Does a roadmap about Qt on QNX exist ? If yes where can we find it ?

It seems Qt 5.9 is supported by both QNX 6.6 and QNX 7.0, what will it be for later version of QT (5.10, 5.1x, and later 6.x) ?

It there a way to know the list of modules supported for recent version of Qt ? I also found there is a Qt Bug about this planned to be fixed for Qt 5.10 (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59976).

- Webengine

Since Qt5.6 QtWebkit is no more officially supported by Qt. However you can compile it anyway but it works only with QWidgets and not with QtQuick/QML because QtDeclarative is not supported, from what I understand.

Nevetheless there is no solution to display HTML page with QtQuick/QML on QNX and QtWebengine (QtWebkit replacement) doesn't work on QNX because it is tied to the rendering engine Blink from chromium project.

In the presentation from September 2016 there is a mention of it and a question "QtWebEngine from BLINK for QNX?".

I would like to know if there is a port in progress ? If yes what is the current status of this port and will it be supported on both QNX 6.6 and QNX 7.0 ?

- Virtual Keyboard

Is there a plan to make the QtVirtualKeyboard module compatible with QNX ?

There is already a bug (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-54576) which has been reported by a silver user, but there is no gerrit open.

I personally tried the patch for virtual keyboard and it worked at least up to Qt 5.8 but it seems to not work anymore with Qt 5.9.1.

- Qt Creator and remote debugging

It is currently impossible to remote debug custom QML plugin used through QML loader because even if you add "set sysroot" or "set solib-search-path" in "Options > Debug > Gdb > Additionnal startup commands" the symbols are not loaded and the breakpoints do not work, at least with Qt Creator 4.2.

It seem already has been described in a old bug which has never been opened (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-12980)

Is there another method use by Qt developers to debug remote custom QML application with plugins on QNX ?

I tried with the latest Qt Creator version v4.4-rc1, but for now I cannot start the debugging on QNX (https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-18804).

- Development

Those last ones are organizational questions about how Qt and Qt Creator are developed for QNX, because it is not really clear for us.

We understand there are QNX employees working on Qt, but are they also employees of Qt working on QNX port? Maybe it depends on which module/part ?

>From what we understood QtCreator is only maintained by Qt even for the QNX part, is that right ?

It would be very helpful if James McDonnel or someone else working on Qt for QNX would be able to answer some of those questions.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Julien Bordes.